"AIR-DRYING MY NATURAL HAIR?!?!? Awwww Hecks NAW!"
That's not what this young sista named Kiara said while showing you how to air-dry LIKE A BOSS after she used The L.O.C. Method.
"HECKY NAW" is what a lot of folks say about air-drying and that's a mistake you MUST avoid if you want the healthiest hair possible.
Don't be scuuuuured girl, ha! When you hear the words "air-drying" do you start running for the hills?
Are you scared your hair is gonna turn into a tangled bird’s nest?
Yes? OK, well, just recognize the fact that you are trippin' right now and let's K.I.M. peeples....
For the Suburbanites among us, K.I.M. means "keep it movin'' If you speak in Ol' Otis dialect, it's KOM. (Keep On Movin')
My advice is that you listen to Ol' Otis unless you wanna get roasted, lol.
K.O.M. Russ Parr or Get Roasted By Ol' Otis
Anywaaaayz, foolishness aside.
This super-helpful video from a little-known BELOW from a cute lil' YouTuber caught my eye and I want to share her knowledge with you and hopefully get this young sista a few more subscribers.
This video tutorial will help you put the blow dryer down. Maybe not for good, but long enough to get some health back on your scalp.
Pros and Cons of Air-Drying Natural Hair
A lot of Lovelies think that they can get the same results either way, whether they are air-drying or blow-drying with heat.
So I'm gonna take a minute to break down for you the different results you get when you air dry your natural hairstyle vs. when you sit under a hood dryer and heat.
- With air drying your natural coily textured hair, you are helping your hair stay more moisturized, that's MAJOR. You see...
- Skipping the damaging heat of the dryer is a must if you already have dry hair. And it also saves a bunch of time.
- It's such a time-saver, you can simply wash and style your hair and go. And if you want to use the dryer to speed things up, just sit under that bad girl for maybe 5 minutes or so, and bounce.
Nothing is perfect love... We don't promise perfection. So here are some downsides to air drying...
- The thing that some naturals say about air-drying is that it does not leave your hair looking as polished as a blow dryer. Especially for thick type 4 hair. The thicker your hair then the longer it takes to dry, you already know girl....
- Your hair is probably not going to be as shiny as it would be with heat drying and it might not last as long. By sitting under the dryer you reduce the amount of puffiness and frizz.
- The dryer allows your defined curls to set much quicker which leads to a polished finished with shine. Something that is hard to get with air drying.
But liiiiisten Lovely.... YOU WILL SEE THE BENEFITS if you air-dry your hair, it's so natural and helpful. Check it out!
VIDEO TUTORIAL: 3 Ways to Air Dry Natural Hair
For overall hair health, air-drying is something to embrace.
You won't damage the structure of your hair like you do when applying heat and your hair live to try various hairstyles that would never be achieved with burnt out, damaged hair.
[ Read About Natural Hair Steam Machine Reviews ]
Skeptical About Air-Drying Your Natural Hair?
If you’re skeptical about the benefits of drying your hair this way, I recommend doing a test trial. Section and braid/twist your hair as usual, but leave one section in the back of your hair to air dry in the way described in the video.
If you find that your hair tangles or that it simply isn’t worth the effort then you’ll only have one section to restyle.
However, I think you’ll find that these techniques will DEFINITELY help sistas with thick hair to dry their hair much more quickly than normal air-drying tactics, and will also effectively prep your hair for stretched full natural hairstyles whenever you want.