The fresh new handbook on how to achieve and maintain stylish natural hair, from one of the savviest and most revered expert on coils and curls
These days there’s a revolution going on. A natural hair revolution…
Relaxers are out. Weaves are so yesterday.
Tired of damage from expensive chemical treatments and artificial enhancers, women of color are going natural thanks to many natural hair enthusiasts and supporters, one of these people is Nikki Walton of CurlyNikki.com, the natural hair blogger and online hair therapy expert.
In Better Than Good Hair, this gifted “curl whisperer” educates women on how to transition from relaxed to completely natural hair, with advice and styles for every length—from Fierce Braid-and-Curls to Fancy Faux Buns.
She also counsels those considering the “big chop”—cutting it all off at once to sport a bold and beautiful “teeny weeny afro.” Here, too, is essential guidance for parents of mixed-race children dealing with new and unfamiliar hair textures and styles.
Lee’s Review Highlights: First off, I love everything about Curly Nikki. She’s a beautiful and brilliant businesswoman who cares about her readers. To see her success makes me proud. So when I saw HUNDREDS of amazing reviews for her “Better Than Good Hair” book I was pretty geeked for her. Out of 260+ real person reviews, she only has 4 “haters”(people that gave her book 1 star), most of her readers are loving the book. In my opinion, you get more scientific and in-depth info from “The Science of Black Hair” book from Audrey Davis-Sivasothy but Curly Nikki delivers more entertainment value. I’ll share some of the customer reviews below…
5-Star Reviews from real customers… (5 out of 169 comments)
Positive customer review from Places2Love –
- The Quintessential Kinky/Curly Encyclopedia: Whether you are an inquisitive newly natural beauty or a natural hair expert/goddess looking to give your friends some sound advice, Better Than Good Hair is it! There are great features from Nikki AND many of the hair bloggers and youtubers that the natural experts will be familiar with and the newcomers will glean from. I was discouraged when I first saw the reviews that said this book was just like the website (and I almost did not buy it). But in actuality the layout, conciseness, and illustrations make this a very user-friendly, quickly accessible MANUAL for readers of all ages, transcending just a website that can take hours upon hours to search. Moreover, it should be comforting to the natural hair experts that the quality hair principles you have experimented with and learned by trial and error are encapsulated in one handy reference guide. I just hope updated editions will be printed every few years :-). As a bonus, Kim Wayans adds a hilarious and fitting foreword that makes me wonder when her first book will be coming out because I would buy it!
Positive customer review from Chrishonda Davis –
- Loved It: I love this book It really breaks down how to care for your natural hair during all stages, not only that, it doesn’t ridicule those who prefer to relax or chemically alter their hair. It simply encourages you to take the right steps in caring for your hair no matter how you choose to wear it. Nikki helps you have confidence in your hair and yourself.
Positive customer review from SDO “Swtdrk1” –
- It’s Better Than Just a Hair Book: I have been natural for almost 4 years and what I love about this book the most is it is a guide, a source of information. As I was reading it I was nodding in agreement. I was laughing and I was intrigued. Even though I am going on 4 years I can always benefit from things I didn’t know or haven’t tried and that is what BTGH is for me…information that I don’t have to keep in my head. I can simply go back to that section of the book. I had to get my daughter her own copy, because there will be no borrowing. 🙂
Positive customer review from Angela P. –
- Very Informative & Good Read: I’ve been natural well over 5 years and was able to take away some very good tips from this book. Nikki never disappoints. She has been humble from the beginning and is extremely clear in the book that this is not about her, but about US. I bought 3 copies and plan to buy more just to give away. This is a Godsend for anyone considering to go natural or for anyone who has been natural for years. Not many hair books can accomplish that.
Positive customer review from Deborah Houston, TX –
- Amazing Book: It took me a while to finish this book (not because it’s not good) because I’m so busy. However, I finally finished the book and I just have one word AMAZING!! I was on the Curly Nikki forum for 2 years, and reading this book was just like being on the forum but better. I like the way the book was organized, the information provided, and how Nikki used ladies that contributed to the forum to share their natural experiences. I don’t know maybe it was just me, but I felt connect to the book and the articles. I have been natural for 3+ years, and the content of this book is still relevant for all of my natural hair care needs!! I only wish it had been around when I BC’ed!! Love you Nikki please keep up the good work!! Deb
1- Star Reviews from real customers (2 out of 4 comments)
Negative customer review from Bobby Ray –
- Don’t Waste Your Money: I check this book out from my local library, save your money and do the same.
All the information in the book can be found on CurlyNikki or any other natural hair blog. The photos & illustrations are in black and white and look cheap and tacky!
The book covers big chopping, transitioning, 5yrs natural and natural kids but nothing for naturals that are regular folks with medium length strands. The book seem dated to me I wanted color photos of “hair porn” you get none of that.
Bottom line dont waste your money, honey check it out if need be at your local library!
Negative customer review from Steph –
- Over-rated: It does not address enough about people with fine hair. Glad I was able to support a black author though. (Author note: Even the Science of Black Hair book got 2 bad reviews out of 400, someone will always complain, that’s life so take it for what it is. )
(See All of The Reviews for “Better Than Good Hair” Book Here)